01 December, 2017

Klum-Pinsel Travel Brush Review

Kolinsky Gussow Steckpinsel Gr:10
Measured hair width - 10mm, hair length - 14mm

It was of great interest to me when my hap was to land upon a thread in Wetcanvas, discussing paint brushes, that pointed out the splendid German brush maker Klum-Pinsel*(Non-English link). A shop that upon closer inspection and with the help of Bing's Web page Translator*, was shown to have a wonderful variety of brushes, and especially travel brushes*(Non-English link) plein air painters might want to take note, with prices that, at the time of this writing, were competitive with the much beloved Rosemary and Co brush makers. The only other difference I'm not sure of between the makers is the exact kind of hair used by Klum-Pinsel.

Being in the market for a flat travel brush, I compared the largest of Rosemary & Co's and Klum-Pinsel's flat travel brushes, and after a call and some emails with Klum(involving Bing again), I found I could get a larger cheaper brush from Klum according to the given measurements of both manufacturers and shipping quotes to San Diego, CA; so I went ahead and bought it, the Kolinsky Gussow Steckpinsel Gr:10 :-)

Klum-Pinsel's s brush on top, compared to a #8 Escoda Reserva below


My initial thoughts on painting with this brush were, something about never having painted with a flat brush before, and afterward were on how it had approximately the same strong snap as my Escoda Reserva brushes, holds plenty of pigment, and has an ok edge.
The edge isn't perfectly sharp but my understanding is that if I wanted sharpness, I should look to a synthetic bristle, which I'd rather prefer not to, or get a mixed bristle next time.

It is a travel brush, so I should mention that the fitting of both pieces together, closed or open, was perfectly snug and left no wiggle room. The bristle squeeze is a touch tight when closing up, which is  something I worry about when a bit jittery from caffeine at a cafe after a day in of painting, an inconvenience but nothing impossible to deal with and worth the trouble for having a larger brush :-)

As of yet I heartily recommend this brush, looking on to time's breaking the brush in and feeling out it's longevity.

The travel brush when closed up


*links may break

No comments:

Post a Comment