02 January, 2018

Technique: Subtle Pointillism and Granulation

I enjoy granulation in watercolors thoroughly, and as I continue to move forward with them, I see a pattern developing that might be useful to others.


I've begun using a touch of pointillism here and there ranging from clearly patterned points to a near mimic of granulation(useful for transparent nongranulating pigments). I try to only do it in small doses, and usually with gradation of value in mind.


This technique seems to come up in pieces with granulating watercolor because focus is removed a bit from the points as the characteristics of the paint are highlighted.
If you try it, let me know what you think :-)

-

An oversimplification of a side note regarding the difference between stippling and pointillism; stippling is the use a single color (usually in pencil or ink, but other mediums can take it up) to create an image while pointillism uses a variety of color.

No comments:

Post a Comment